Search This Blog

after thought - Bus stop and the Stranger


Hour 5 : 4:00

Time blew between us like the smoke was on me. I didn’t have nerve to ask her again, nor was I interested in anymore in talk-with-strangers-on-tour. I was more interested in the half moon and little clouds, which carelessly hung in sky. For a moment I thought it would be nice wallpaper for my laptop. This thought actually triggered a guilt wave in me, of not giving credit to nature of its beauty. If this scene was observed by any other person, like poets or writers they would have certainly described beautifully it as velvet coated night with shiny pearls in it as stars and the most brightest diamond kept on top, or those clouds would better symbolized as blanket of night as moon lay asleep in cold. But as thoughts came to me, they were broken by soft voice. “Sorry” she said, “Sorry?” replied I, she replied “I am sorry for being rude.” Actually my ‘sorry’ was for not getting what she said for the first time, she mistook it for my gratitude, like I didn’t knew why she was sorry for. But I liked it, finally getting someone to talk.

“No problem, its okay.”

“But I’m sorry”

“It’s okay”

Then unexpectedly she turned and again went back to what she was doing, looking hard for something in ground. I thought finally I got her to talk. I felt and urge to try my luck again, so asked her clearly

“You going to Kanpur?”

“Yes”

“But the bus doesn’t come until 5 in morning, and its growing colder every moment.”

“Yes”

“Do you want some water?”

Here I was expecting another yes and I was already out of questions. And I don’t why I asked this stupid question, but it worked well and did something good.

“Yes please, if you have extra bottle.”

“Ya I do have an extra bottle, you can keep it, we still have a few hours to kill. Want something to eat as well?”

We walked towards each other and I would remember the moment I gave her my water bottle (extra) would be like when some important documents are being exchanged by ambassadors of different countries after a long tiring meeting.

“Thank you, err…..where are you heading to?”

“Kanpur, I’m stuck in my vacations. What about you?”

Silence prevailed for another 5 mins.

“I’m visiting some friends in Agra, just casual one.”

Agra? Isn’t this just besides Delhi, one can start in morning, and no need for standing here in chill of night, I suspected something wrong. Didn’t say so at first, actually didn’t wanted to spook her that I’m suspecting her of something. She seemed genuine to me. I still don’t know why. It was my turn for little ‘hmm’

“Hmm...…”

It was awkward to say something else than travel plans because that was the only thing common in us. More awkward because I knew she lied.

“And where you are from? Delhi?”

I gave her option, making it easier for her to lie more.

“Err...Yes…no...Not from New Delhi, the old one.”

“Hmm…” I really liked these ‘hmms’.

Previous

Next

No comments:

Post a Comment