Search This Blog

after thought : Bus stop and the Stranger


Hour 5: 4:30

But then something in me told that there was no point in having a conversation that I knew was a complete white lie. I had an urge to tell her that if she told me the truth I won’t kill her or won’t publish in a newspaper etc. I created a gap between reply which was filled with her silence and lies. I was equally responsible for her lies, because I was supporting her by giving her ideas and making it easier for her. Between all this thought I completely forgot about the main fact, why was she lying after all. After stubbing out my cigarette I looked at her and asked her

“You comfy? Is there something bothering you?”

“No, I mean yes, I mean am comfortable and nothing is bothering me.”

“Sure? You look a little bit ruffled and sort of troubled. I mean apart from being stranded on this rickety bus stop with a weird stranger who smokes and talks a lot over top of it, the stranger is male. I don’t know I felt like, you know, pareshaan types, like something bothering you.”

She sighed heavily as if I have spoken something of her vanity with huge disrespect. This was strange reaction I was getting from her.

“No. It’s just too cold.”

It meant “keep your mouth shut.”

“Okay, but just incase, wanted you to know that I mean you no harm, possibly can’t do anything and I am really going to Kanpur.”

I indicated her that I already knew that she was lying. Then went back to what I was doing, absolutely nothing. But at least I had something to think of, this lady, whose name was still a mystery and she had my water bottle. But when I think from her point of view I find it right, how many times did I ever talk with stranger telling them I hadn’t had bath for two days because of cold Delhi, so why should she tell me her secrets. But night had something more in package for me, so tables turned this time again and this was after quiet 20mins.

“Err…you know…I actually left home today.”

“What?”

“I…err…ran away.”

“What?”

More softly “I left home forever.”

This time she again mistook my ‘what’s’ the first one was because I was in my thoughts and she suddenly said something, the second was in disbelief and the third one was coming but I controlled it hard and said

No comments:

Post a Comment